Tuesday, July 02, 2013

What will happen when Zimmerman walks?

While Roger L. Simon speculates about a Tahir Square happening in America, Fred on Everything speculates about what will happen if George Zimmerman walks. Fred agrees blacks have a right to be angry about slavery. but he also writes that whites have a case.

After all, they ended slavery, passed the Civil War amendments, abolished segregation, passed and enforced the civil rights laws, and instituted life-long charity for blacks in the form of welfare and affirmative action. They didn’t have to do any of these things.

Fred has a history of being a reporter covering American ghettos. How blacks in those ghettos are treated by cops is a story not many Americans know. Likewise, the danger faced by whites in those ghettos is not often reported by our media.

The year was 1969. I lived in Kansas City, Kansas. My wife and I were driving at night in Kansas City, Missouri on the one year anniversary of the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. I was pulled over by a cop. He asked for my drivers license, and went back to his squad car. He took a very long time, then came up to my car and told me he was taking me down to the jail. He didn't say why.

When I was booked into the jail, I was told that it was for unpaid parking tickets. I had never gotten a ticket for anything. Then I remembered. I had co-signed for a young black teen to get a car. He had no dad, and his mom was on welfare. I was working as Director of a counseling center in the Kansas City, Kansas ghetto. The young man had apparently gotten the tickets and I was listed as co-signer on his car.

I was put in a bullpen with about a dozen other prisoners. A cop brought in a drunk black man, who wasn't being cooperative. The cop swung back with his fist and punched the man very hard in his stomach. After a couple of hours I asked if I could make a phone call. I knew a Methodist minister who was involved with Saul Alinsky's organization, and I knew he was also privately counseling Police Chief Clarence Kelly on how to deal with militant young blacks. I called the minister, who arranged for my release promptly that night.

I made sure I accomplished one thing after that. The minister and I got that cop fired.

Fred writes about black unemployment.

They are doing nothing because there is nothing for them to do. The economy doesn’t need them. They do not know why they are in the mess they are in, as, really, neither do I. But they blame whitey. They, especially the young, are ready to do something about it.

Many whites of my acquaintance in Washington do not grasp any of this. They are lawyers, journalists, academics, people who live in a bubble of political correctness and see only the well-dressed blacks who work in offices on Connecticut Avenue. To them racial tension is what rednecks and Southerners do.

They don’t really grasp that the human animal is savage, cruel, vindictive, and murderous. This diagnosis may seem excessive if you are well-fed, content, and more or less in control of your life. It is not excessive. History and for that matter the present are full of groups butchering each other for reasons of race, ethnicity, and nationality. Irish Prots and Catholics killing each other, the IRA planting bombs in London, white Southerners lynching blacks in the South, the slow genocide of whites by blacks in South Africa, Sunnnis and Shiites killing each other, Turks butchering Armenians, black tribes in Burundi hacking each other into pieces by thousands, white Americans exterminating the Indians.

It can happen. Maybe it won’t.

No comments: