Thursday, July 25, 2013

How do you choose the right doctor?

How do you know when you are choosing the right doctor? Should you go with the one who refuses to give you the drugs you want, but instead tells you that you need to change the behavior that caused you to have to go see him in the first place?

Or do you choose the one who will give you the drugs you want, has a fancy big screen t.v. in the waiting room, and has a reputation of being the doctor that all the right people go to?

Here is another example.

Tomorrow I will have skin cancer surgery. The doctor will be the same one I have been using for many years. He is a calm man with a gentle touch and an easy smile. But, most of all, it is his competence I seek. I have been to two other dermatologists, one who left ugly scars after surgery, and breathed heavily in my face while doing the surgery. The other railroaded us patients through like we were on the train to Auschwitz.

Another thing I like: there is no t.v. in the waiting room, just magazines.

He still has the same group of employees he had when I first came to him twenty years ago. They are like family to this fair-skinned man who spent his whole childhood outside in the sunshine, and now has the skin cancers to prove it.

No comments: