Monday, December 12, 2011

God and football

I haven't written about the Denver Broncos and Tim Tebow, winners of six straight games, the last four of them fourth quarter comebacks. It is an amazing story of a guy who humbly believes that God has a plan for him, and his teammates are convinced that there is something amazingly special going on. The team is young, and no more talented than any other NFL team. In fact, this coming Sunday they play the team with the best quarterback (since Peyton Manning went out with an injury), Tom Brady, and his talented New England Patriots.

There is a guy where I work who is a rabid Patriots fan. Every time I see him I tell him the Patriots are going down. Last night when I said that, he laughed heartily and said, "No way!" He said, "The Patriots have Tom Brady, and all the Broncos have is God!" Not believing the implications of what I just heard, I said incredulously, "Who would you rather have, God, or Tom Brady?" Without hesitation, he answered, "Brady!" Then, he followed up with, "All God does is say, "It's your time to die, now it's your time to die, now it's your time to die," as he pointed in different directions. Amazed at this line of reasoning, I asked, "What about when God says, it's your time to be born?" He replied, "I was born because of my mom's egg and my dad's sperm." I asked, "How do you suppose they got the eggs and sperm?" By that time he was picking up speed, walking hurriedly away from me. No matter, I'll see him plenty more times this week.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

Keep plugging away at his ill informed logic, you just never know when you'll finally hit the right note.