Monday, April 18, 2011

Good, Light Reading

While talking with the local librarian yesterday I was delighted to learn that Ridley Pearson and Dave Berry have written two more books in the "Peter" series. I read Peter and the Starcatchers and Peter and the Shadow Thieves to Jon and Greg, and we thoroughly enjoyed them both. I placed a hold on number three, and eagerly await it. What fabulous imaginations and senses of humor these two men possess! Both books build to thrilling endings.

Carl Hiassen is an author who seems to think we humans are devolving, not evolving. In Nature Girl Hiassen writes about a Seminole Indian, a housewife. her son, her ex-husband, two telemarketers, the male telemarketer's wife and mother, a college coed, a businessman, and, well, you get it: we've all devolved in varying degrees, yet still have some endearing qualities (except for the male telemarketer).

While I don't share Hiassen's premise about our devolution, there is enough truth in it that, when you add Hiassen's gift of humor, it makes for a good read.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

I'll have to check that out because I'm not sure what he thinks we devolved from? Being serfs?