Sunday, July 04, 2010

A family that encourages reading

Yesterday I met a family worth writing about. The little girl (eleven, going into the 6th grade this fall) was buying a book about five inches thick. I asked her if she was really going to read it. She replied that she had just finished reading a thicker one that only took her two days to read! Then the parents told me that each of their four children had read at least ten books so far this summer. The little girl, though, proudly assured me that she was the bookworm of the family.

I asked the children if they realized what great parents they have. Oh, yes, they did. I then asked the parents if they homeschooled the children. The mom asked, "Is it that obvious?" Yes, it was.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

In the 70s I thought homeschooling was the wave of the future...turns out I did well with that prediction. At the time I was studying to be a teacher.