Wednesday, January 20, 2010

To some people it is useless junk; to others it is a treasure!

Can you believe we now have a Goodwill Outlet store? Out of curiosity I went there yesterday. Clothing is sold by the pound. The place was jammed with Mexicans, who I presume crossed the border with few belongings. There was a perfectly good rocking chair for $2.49. I would have bought it, but I had to pick up Sara, who was getting her "Sister Locks" attended to, and there would not have been room in my small car. I did buy a huge sack of books for $.49 each.

My best finds were hardback bound collections of the "Ranger Rick" Nature series magazines. The dates on the magazines were all in the 1970s. They have wonderfully written stories for children, and the pictures are fabulous. For example, last night I read two stories to Jon and Greg at bedtime. One was about an Eskimo boy who gets chased by a giant female polar bear, who thought the boy was a danger to her cubs. The other story was about "Jack Ass" penguins, which bray like donkeys, and live at the southern tip of South Africa.

5 comments:

mjloehrer said...

Just happened to be surfing blog sites and read yours. Simplicity is best as in, Bob's blog site. I read your bio. I went to school with Shelby Steele, Coe College 1968, however, we never communicated. As I recall he was a 60's radical. MJ Hawkeye

Terri Wagner said...

I didn't know such treasures could be found in Goodwill stores although one of my coworkers gets most of her clothing from there and it doesn't show.

Bob's Blog said...

mj,
Thanks for stopping by. I went to your blog and really liked it; therefore, I have added the link to your blog.

terri,
Thank you so much for continuing to stop by and comment!

Mrs. Who said...

There is a GW store in a well-to-do part of town near here. You can find amazing deals there. Many of the name-brand clothes still have the tags on them. And after the Mardi Gras season is over, there are gorgeous after-five dresses to be found there.

Libby said...

Hi,
Thanks so much for the Ranger Rick shout-out!
We still truck on here at the magazine, turning out still-wonderful magazines. Let me know if you would like some recent issues so you can see what I mean - free!

Warmest wishes,
Libby Schleichert, Sr. Editor
Ranger Rick Magazine
National Wildlife Federation
Reston, VA

email: schleich@nwf.org or epschleichert@yahoo.com
website: nwf.org/kids