Tuesday, June 09, 2009

The Price is Right

My first clue that this would be a crazy day was the threatening sky surrounding the store where I work as a cashier on the weekends. Hail and tornadoes were being predicted. Debris was flying as I walked into the store. I soon found that shoppers were nervous and in a hurry.

My very first customer was a woman with purple lipstick grotesquely outlined in purple lipliner. She and her husband proudly put down on the conveyor belt an entire display of toy cars. Since the display had no barcode to scan, I began scanning each of the toy cars. "No," she shouted, "We want the whole display!" I explained that the display had no barcode to scan, so that was the reason I was scanning each one individually. "Okay," the man said disgustedly, "then just scan five," (after he noticed that each car was scanning at $4.50).

Two of the five cars that I picked were alike. "No," screamed the woman with the purple lipliner, "those two are the same." So I put one back on the display and selected another one that was different from the other four.

The woman, who had been humming to herself the theme song from "The Price is Right" television show, was no longer happily humming. I sure hope they weren't hit by hail as they walked out to their car.

2 comments:

Terri Wagner said...

Roftl...don't you just LOVE working with the public????

Mrs. Who said...

Maybe the purple dye from the make-up is leeching into her brain. That would explain a lot.