Sunday, June 28, 2009

Patience

Terry Anderson writes in his book Den of Lions about the patience he had to learn in order to survive mentally seven years of ugly captivity at the hands of Islamic Jihad.
"Patience is not a virtue - it's a necessity, a survival trait, an ever-filling well from which I sip, or gulp, exhausted by the desert of this non-life. My faith surges and recedes; hope sometimes abandons me, leaving only patience. I kick and scream and flail inside my head; patience offers only soft resistance, washing gently at my rage. I know if I dive deeply, I will find patience, hope, and faith emerging from a single source, eternal and unchanging."

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

What an awe-inspiring experience to read firsthand what someone experienced beyond our comprehension. How he kept his sanity and his faith in the end was a true measure of his faith. SO many in similar circumstances lost their faith completely. His struggle is almost touching on the sacred.