Friday, January 17, 2020

Which option makes the most sense to you?



Via Mark Tapscott in Instapundit

From the comments...
Farcourt writes,
... Jesus to take the burden of all of the world's sins upon himself and die on the cross as payment so that believers can have eternal life.

I don't mean this disrespectfully, but I've never understood the logic of that claim. How did the crucifixion place all the world's sins on Christ's shoulders? And how does believing so confer everlasting life on believers?

I'm a pretty well-seasoned adult now, but I've been asking this ever since I was a child, and I have yet to get an understandable explanation from anyone. Again, I am not ridiculing your belief. I'm just trying to make sense of it. If anyone can point me toward an explanation, I would appreciate it.

WSPurdy replied,
I never understood the logic either until I finally understood it is so because He said so. Simple as that.

Anon Person wrote,
Given a billion years, or two, or three, and proper chemical, temperature, pressure, light, & weather conditions, it is more likely that life will occur than not. Life is organic chemistry followed by evolution. Put a planet in the liquid water zone of a star, give it an atmosphere, let water collect, and in a few billion years you get life.

Or if you can't wait around that long, go to God for a faster version.

Lincoln Annie wrote,
I am convinced that God's will for us is to find joy, a golden, rich, multi-hued joy like a double-weave silk made from the ever-changing lightways of a perfect day, to fill us with its shimmering from the souls of our feet to the crowns of our heads and overflowing, surging, swelling, spilling to share with all around us, channeling the heart of God Himself.

I've glimpsed it once or twice. Just a scant peek, you understand - a hint, just enough to know it is real. It makes ordinary life seem suddenly to be a very dark place, like a cellar with a 25-watt bulb keeping the cave-crickets to the shadows.
Read much more here.

No comments: