Tuesday, August 05, 2014

I am not a "little boy!"

My fourteen-year-old son Jon told me today that he walked out of a therapy session he had been invited to attend. The therapist told Jon's older sister, "He is going to need some help." Why did he walk out? Because the therapist was talking to him like he was a little boy, with a patronizing (matronizing?) condescending tone to her voice.

I told Jon that "He is going to need some help" would be a great title for an autobiographical book, if he ever decides to write one. Jon is a very good writer and original thinker. At the very least, "He is going to need some help" would make a good tombstone epithet, don't you think?

My kids are not fond of the average guidance counselor or therapist.

1 comment:

vw bug said...

I so get this. I have been blessed with so many good therapists and doctors when I run into one like that ... ugh. My son is the same way.