Saturday, March 15, 2014

Testifying

Do you have an easy time telling people how God is working in your life? I don't. Shouldn't I be willing to "testify?" When I lived in Texas, testifying was normal. Here in Colorado I never hear the word, probably because I no longer attend Baptist churches. I convince myself that my positive attitude and smile are the best testimony. But, does that give God the glory and credit?


photo by Roger May

The Rev. Harrison Mayes was a coal miner from Middlesboro, Ky. While trapped in a mine, Mayes made a promise to God that if he let him live, he would spend the rest of his days spreading his word. The Museum of Appalachia in Clinton, Tenn., has a rich exhibit about the life and work of Mayes. This sign, in Maher, W.V., is one of countless signs placed by Mayes in more than 40 states.

My grandfather told me that I have two ears and one mouth, which means that I should listen twice as often as I speak.

Thanks to Ann Voskamp for linking to the article by Roger May.


No comments: