Friday, November 01, 2013

Getting in the gratitude condition

November is the month of the year when depression is most likely to envelope us. That's why it is such a great idea for Thanksgiving to be celebrated in November. Why? Because being thankful is the best way to combat depression!

Ann Voskamp wrote a best-selling book, One Thousand Gifts. She encourages her readers to write down each day things they are thankful for. It helps me pay attention to gifts of God's grace as they happen each day. I carry a piece of paper in my pocket, and when I feel grateful for some unexpected experience, I write it down. It gets me in the attitude of gratitude, looking for things to be thankful for.

It is our choice. We can look for reasons to be miserable, or we can look for reasons to be grateful.

One of the reasons I like living in Colorado is the way people greet each other here. The common greeting is to ask the person how they are doing today. Then, when each goes his own separate way, they wish each other a good day. How can that not be helpful in enabling one to feel grateful?

No comments: