Friday, May 10, 2013

Messiah? How do you live up to those expectations?

Yesterday I was talking with an elementary school boy, who said that he didn't know that any "real life" people were named Bob. He said he had only heard of Bob the Builder, who he knew was not a real person. I always thought Bob was a pretty common name.

Today I saw a story in the Denver Post that names like King and Messiah were on the rise, and Major was the name that has jumped the most spots on the most popular names for boys, as catalogued by the social Security Administration.

I decided to check it out. When I was born, Bob was number 99 on the list of most popular names. Now it isn't even in the top 1000, and it hasn't been since 1984!

Jacob is the most popular name for a boy now, and Sophia for a girl. The only traditional names in the top ten for boys were William and Michael. Go here to view the most popular names.

No comments: