Sunday, August 21, 2011

Decison fatigue

Do you have mental fatigue from making too many decisions? There is a brilliant woman where I work, who snaps off excellent decisions a mile a minute. She is ultra-competent, even though she has not been on the job more than a couple of months. Yet, she plans to quit next Saturday! Why? Because she says her immediate supervisor "doesn't give her the tools" she needs to do her job. I don't understand. I told her she has the tools she needs just in her own competence. As I said, the person is already super-competent. Although she is the lowest level manager, she basically runs the store on Saturdays, when thousands of people are in there shopping. No matter how big or small the problem, she solves one after another all day long, going full speed ahead.

I asked her what could keep her here. She said, "Only one thing: I get my supervisor's job!" I said, "Wow, what's that all about?" She said, "It's about being a woman!" Whoa, Nellie. This is where I get off the horse.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

Tell her to watch out. I thought finding another job would be a snap not in today's climate.