Sunday, May 24, 2009

"Making All My Wonders Disappear"

First, a story about five-year-old Sara. Yesterday, all of the children were told they could buy one thing at the local market. Sara put a wad of monopoly money in her purse. She marched right in to the cashier and dumped out all of her monopoly money, plus a few small toys, and told the cashier what she wanted. When the dumbfounded cashier finally managed to close his mouth, it was his no small task to explain to Sara that she must use the same kind of money her brothers were using.

Nine-year-old Jon brought home from school his writing book. Below are a few of his entries.

Invisibility
If I could be invisible for a day, I could make a living at age nine. I would be able to get out of time outs. I could play so many tricks on my brother. With invisibility I could be the first person to climb a hill without being seen! But, where is the joy in that? I could ride my bike without being seen! There is some joy in that, you have to admit.

Writing
My favorite thing I've done this year in third grade is to learn how to write. I chose this because I set a big goal, and I accomplished it! I used to not even know how to write a paragraph, and now I feel like a writer. I also chose it because I can make a blog and be in the newspaper just like my dad. I feel like I can write a thousand papers, let alone one paragraph. I feel special inside every time I get rewarded. Learning to write makes me so happy.

Growing Up
The only reason that I can't wait to grow up is to be in the Air Force. I don't really want to grow up, but I want to be in the Air Force, because I want to help this country. I also want to travel a lot and get an aerial look at everything under me. I would be able to go above clouds and slice back through there with a bomb exploding underneath me. Being in the Air Force would be the one and only reason I can't wait to grow up.

Qualities of a Friend
Do things for your friends when they are blue, and play with them. I am a good friend, because I make them laugh when they are sad. I am also a good friend because I don't cheat in games. Plus, I don't rub it in when I have more things. The biggest quality of a good friend is being someone who can be counted on.

Seeing Through the Eyes of an Animal
If I could see through any animal's eyes, it would be my horse. I would see how cold she is in a storm. If I could look through my horse's eyes I would see how happy she is when she is frolicking through the green, swaying grass. I would see why she bucks when it rains. I will finally know what it is like to sleep in a stable. I would finally know why she likes grain so much. Looking through my horse's eyes would make all my wonders disappear.

6 comments:

julie said...

Wow - Jon is well on the way to becoming an excellent writer!

And Sara is just precious :D

Jeffro said...

He's gonna go places!

Mrs. Who said...

He is so descriptive and articulate...if he lived closer, I would let him come teach my second graders how to write!

Bob's Blog said...

Julie, Jeffro, and Mrs. Who,
I am glad you enjoyed Jon's writing, and thanks for commenting. I will find his writing book and post some more entries soon.

vw bug said...

Wow. Jon's writing is fantastic. Trust me, I have two boys... I am very impressed with his thought process. Please post more... and when is that boy gonna get a blog? ;-)

Terri Wagner said...

Yes I think Jon's already ready to have his own blog. And Sara is just too cute for words.