Sunday, August 11, 2019

My Daddy, the Colonel

Guest post by Suzann Darnall

There is an old joke (with many variations) about two Southern belles sitting on the veranda one day having a discussion. Southern Belle #1 says, “My daddy, the colonel, sent me to the finest finishing school in Alabama.” Southern Belle #2 says, “Why bless your heart!” Southern Belle #1 says, “My daddy, the colonel, bought me a red convertible sports car when I graduated from high school.” Southern Belle #2 says, “Why bless your heart!” Southern Belle #1 says, “My daddy, the colonel, threw me the most expensive wedding in the history of our community.” Southern Belle #2 says, “Why bless your heart!” Southern Belle #1 says, “What did you daddy do for you?” Southern Belle #1 says, “My daddy taught me to say “why bless your heart”, instead of “screw you.””

While this is not exactly what my daddy, who actually ended his Air Force career as a colonel, taught me, it has always made me think of him. My daddy (and momma) did send me to the finest finishing and modeling school in Hawaii. While I did not get a car for graduation from high school, I did have access to a delightful 1964 Plymouth Belvedere clunker for much of my high school days. And, although my wedding was not a huge monetary burden since we managed to find so many great bargains to keep costs down, it was a beautiful and actual historic event. No, I kid you not. Because Pete and I got married in my parents historic base quarters we not only were listed in the historic registry, but the base museum requested one of our wedding announcements for their collection. Kinda hard to top that!

My daddy taught me a love of words: reading, writing, and speaking. He taught me a fascination with World War II, particularly the Pacific Theater. He taught me how to roast the perfect holiday turkey by placing it breast down in the pan. He taught me to love John Wayne movies. To such an extent that I name my Great Danes from those movies. He taught me a reverence for the Lord. He taught me to respect our country, our flag, and our military. He taught me to be interested in politics. He taught me that I have worth as a woman and can do whatever I set my mind to do. He taught me to adore both antiques and junk. He taught me a passion for collecting. He taught me (and my husband) to love turquoise jewelry and accoutrements. He taught me more than I can possibly list. . . and continues to teach me to this day.

My daddy was born in a holler in West Virginia. During his Air Force career he flew so high as to be at the edge of space. He was the first in his family to go to college and eventually earned a PhD. Along the way he traveled and lived around the world. As I grew up we lived in West Virginia, Texas, Wyoming, Alabama, California, Alaska, New Mexico, and Hawaii. Many of the places more than once. While we lived in those places my daddy also flew across both the North Pole and Antarctica, as well as into Europe, Asia, and South America. He also served in Vietnam during the war.

My daddy is a true Renaissance man. There is almost nothing he has not been able to do in all of my life. While I cannot possibly list all of his talents and accomplishments I will cover some of my favorites. He can cook, can, make jelly, and bake. In fact, when I
was in labor, at my parents’ home, with my first baby, my daddy was in baking blueberry pies. He can raise flowers or vegetables, plant grass or trim trees. Every time we moved Daddy would help Momma fix up the new yard and make it home. He can build furniture or refinish furniture. I have more pieces in my home that Daddy built or refinished than I can count. He also does oil painting, watercolors, and other art forms. He knows about animals. Saved a puppy we had that was not breathing when born and did simple stab surgery on a calf of my sister’s that bloated. He also helped raise seven children. He also is a fine pianist and sings like an angel.

In fact, my daddy is one of the most impressive people I have ever met. But, even more than that, he is one of the nicest people I have ever met. He really is a nice guy. When he makes jelly he is always passing it out to friends and family. Until his age and health disallowed it, he was first in line when someone needed a moving van loaded or unloaded. I am not sure he ever met a stranger. He truly likes people. He enjoys life. He loves his family and his friends.

I am forever grateful to my daddy that his teaching me a love of writing, a love of country, and an interest in politics has allowed me to have an online presence with WoolyMammothOrg, which he helped create. He continues to nurture my writing as we share our political views with one another and all who care to read our words. While I did make one huge mistake in voting Democrat in my youth, Daddy helped me to very clearly see the deceit that lives on the Left and I have not made that mistake again.

One more thing about my daddy that makes me think of him when I hear that old Southern Belle joke is him teaching me to be polite. Very polite. And, even more polite to those who are rude or mean. ‘Cause it so often pays off in completely throwing those who would treat you badly ‘cause they are not sure what to expect and they sabotage themselves in the process of fearing you will retaliate. So, I will forever smile and say the equivalent of “bless your heart” rather than frown and say the equivalent of “screw you”!

I definitely owe a great big thank you to my daddy, the colonel, for a life filled with lessons well taught. And, when I say, “Bless his heart” I mean it in the best way possible ‘cause I do ask that the Lord bless him all the days of his life!!!



No comments: