Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Reputation

At Aeon, Gloria Origgi points out that we are now in the age of reputation.
We are experiencing a fundamental paradigm shift in our relationship to knowledge. From the ‘information age’, we are moving towards the ‘reputation age’, in which information will have value only if it is already filtered, evaluated and commented upon by others. Seen in this light, reputation has become a central pillar of collective intelligence today.

Whenever we are at the point of accepting or rejecting new information, we should ask ourselves: Where does it come from? Does the source have a good reputation? Who are the authorities who believe it? What are my reasons for deferring to these authorities?

When I see a story on Facebook's "Trending" column, usually at least three mainstream media sources are given, and I know that each is thoroughly leftist in their biases. So my next step is to Google. Google will likely give me several additional sources, all of which will likely be Leftist. I'll keep going on to Google page two, where I might find one trustworthy source. That is the one I click on.

Origgi continues,
Whenever we are at the point of accepting or rejecting new information, we should ask ourselves: Where does it come from? Does the source have a good reputation? Who are the authorities who believe it? What are my reasons for deferring to these authorities?
Read more here.

No comments: