Friday, May 30, 2014

No enemy, no danger, no peril we can't run away from or try to buy off

Richard Fernandez has the transcript of the president's speech at West Point:
When I first spoke at West Point in 2009, we still had more than 100,000 troops in Iraq. They had just finished a costly campaign to establish it as a cornerstone for a stable Middle East, which I then proceeded to throw away. Because I had a new strategic idea, Afghanistan, in turn replaced by a newer idea, the Arab Spring and a yet newer — Syria and Iran. None of them have worked out, but that’s not my fault. It’s been a hard run of bad luck.

Four and a half years later, as you graduate, the Middle East is in seeming turmoil. Afghanistan will be in Taliban hands two weeks after we leave. Al-Qaida has metastized though Osama bin Laden is no more, though you’ll have to take my word for it.

In fact, by most measures America is weaker than it’s been in 70 years. But I say no! Don’t worry. We are immeasurably better off simply because you’re under me. There’s a secret plan, whose outlines will become clear in due time.

Be the first generation of West Pointers to be everywhere on the defensive, be the first Americans whose fundamental duty is groveling in public.

That is why I make sure you get the best medical care possible through the VA and ensure all Americans get the same quality through Obamacare.

Here’s my bottom line: America must always lead on the world stage. Lead from behind. So let me spend the rest of my time describing my vision for how the United States of America, and our military, should lead in the years to come, for you will be part of that leadership. The United States will use military force, unilaterally if necessary, provided we can, if I decide and without consulting Congress, provided the UN agrees.

To do the rough stuff, we will hire partners to fight alongside us. Like the Romans we are going to hire barbarian hordes since the lawyers told me that there’s a smaller political and legal downside to it. We’ll pay them off and we won’t have to fight. Every terror organization is a potential partner for peace. Inside every Islamic extremist is a nice guy just waiting for a payoff. Today, as part of this effort, I am calling on Congress to support a new counterterrorism partnerships fund of up to $5 billion, because I need a slush fund to keep doing whatever we weren’t doing that night in Benghazi.

Let’s show everyone that there’s no enemy, no danger, no peril we can’t run away from or try to buy off.

No comments: