Sunday, June 09, 2013

"Grit my teeth, bite my tongue, and bow?"

Do we really want liberty? If we get it, what will we do with it? That's one of the questions pondered by Mushroom over at Fungle Jungle.

It almost seems as though most don’t really want liberty but license, the freedom to pick out a nice set of shackles.

People tend to exchange one form of bondage for another. Free a person from financial worries, and he may become addicted to drink or drugs or debauchery.

Are we "imprisoned in busyness?" For many people,

their futures and their self-worth are tied up in “the company” and worldly measures of success. This is sad, and they will eventually discover the emptiness and pointlessness of such an approach.

So, how are we to function in this world? Paul wrote in Romans 13:8,

“Owe no man anything, except to love one another ….” It’s not just a good idea; it’s the law. God’s law says that I am responsible for my wife, my family, my neighbors, my friends – everybody. I’m not responsible for their actions or choices, of course, but I am required to love them, no matter who they are. To the extent that it is up to me, I must seek and support what is in the best interests of those in my sphere. Thus, it quickly becomes obvious that harming others by violence, theft, betrayal, or deception is not acceptable. (See Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5 for a few prominent examples.) Verse 7 of Romans 13 says, “Pay to all what is owed them …” – even in worldly terms – effort, time, obedience, taxes, respect, honor, etc. We are the agents of God’s grace. Our job is to express the goodness and kindness we have received in Christ to those around us where they are.

People will take advantage of our love. We will get shoved aside, ignored, overworked, put upon, run over. Often it will be those closest to us who treat us the worst because they have never known anything else, or they have forgotten what they did know. Or they are human.

We have to be motivated by love. We don’t have to like, agree with, enable, or be controlled by other people to want what is best for them rather than simply want our own way.

We may not be able to say this out loud, but sometimes when I’m dealing with someone who thinks they are making me do something (nothing is more irritating to my people), I will have enough presence of mind to think or whisper, “I’m doing this out of love for Your child, Lord, and out of love and obedience to You.” Then I grit my teeth, bite my tongue and bow.

I say no to that last sentence. If the person is trying to pull a fast one on me, I believe the loving thing to do is not to let him get by with it. I don't have to be hateful about it. That is the hardest person to love. I see no reason to bow to such a person. That is "bondage." If he thinks he can run over me, he needs to learn that he can't! The most loving thing I can do for that person is to teach him to stop manipulating or running over people! If I don't stand up to him, he will continue to manipulate or harm others.

What do you think?

No comments: