Tuesday, July 12, 2011

What do you look for in a book?

When I go to the library I like to browse and read book jacket covers to see if a book might have some relevance to my current situation or interests. This week I decided to try a book called The Finkler Question by Howard Jacobson. Among other qualities, such as "the wisdom and humanity of maturity," the cover said it was funny. I like funny. The older I get, the more I cherish laughter. The book is about three men, two of whom are widowers, and one is so unsuccessful with women, he qualifies as an honorary third widower!

For example, he goes to church one day and sees a woman lighting candles and making the sign of the cross. Of course, he immediately falls in love with her, and assumes she is distraught and in need of his protection. Later, at his house, she confesses that she is "a bit of an arsonist," but assures him that she has no intentions of burning down the church, but just that she is "turned on by flames." The next morning he awakens to two realizations: one, that she is gone; and two, that his sheets are on fire! The way the author tells this story just made me explode with laughter for at least five minutes.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

Ok sorry I read these backwards so now the first one makes more sense or the latest post or ever how you count it giggle.