Thursday, March 31, 2011

A surprise birthday celebration

Today was one of those days when a fellow just throws caution to the wind and goes with his heart. My son Jon turns eleven this weekend. I'll be working both days. I am off work today and tomorrow. Major League Baseball opens its season today and tomorrow. Tomorrow is the opening day here in Denver. The game is sold out. I went to Craigslist, where I saw lots of "deals." Then, I went to the official website of the Colorado Rockies, and saw that there was a charity workout today. You could get right down next to the field and get autographs, watch batting practice, and watch them throwing and catching and running.

An hour and a half after I read about that, Jon and I were at Coors Field. I got him out of school early. We had a great time trying to catch foul balls, eat crackerjacks, pretzels and drink Powerade. Then, we walked several blocks to the Wynkoop Brewery and Restaurant, where we played several games of pool and ate nachos with chicken, which Jon finished off with the restaurant's root beer, which is made on the premises.

On the way home we stopped at Wal-Mart, where Jon showed me the Lego game he is hoping to get for his birthday. Little does he know that Colleen has already purchased it. I tried to put some photos of our day on Picasa, but was completely unsuccessful. Does anyone know a better free place for photos?

4 comments:

Jeffro said...

You might try Flickr.

julie said...

Sounds like a great birthday!

For photos, I use Flickr. Smugmug also looks like a pretty good site; if I didn't already have a Flickr site, I'd probably go with that instead.

Terri Wagner said...

What a wonderful memory you both will have of what sounds like a terrific day.

Bob's Blog said...

Terri,
Thanks, as always.

Jeffro and Julie,
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will visit those sites ASAP.