Sunday, July 26, 2009

PTSD

Dave Cullen writes in his book Columbine about the PTSD aftershocks that affected the Columbine community long after the murders. Have you ever experienced PTSD? I hope not. For you, or to help you understand what a loved one may be experiencing, here are a couple of paragraphs on the subject from Cullen's excellent book.

"By definition, PTSD is a triad of change for the worse, lasting at least a month, occurring any time after a genuine trauma" wrote PTSD pioneer Dr. Frank Ochberg. "The triad of disabling responses is 1)recurring intrusive recollections; 2)emotional numbing and a constriction of life activity; and 3)a physiological shift in the fear threshold, affecting sleep, concentration, and sense of security."

Response to PTSD varies dramatically. Some people feel too much, others too little. The over-feelers often suffer flashbacks. Nothing can drive away the terror. They awake each morning knowing it may be April 20 all over again. They can go hours, weeks, or months without an episode and then a trigger - often a sight, sound, or smell - will take them right back. It's not like a bad memory of the event; it feels like the event. Others protect themselves by shutting down altogether. Pleasant feelings and joy get eliminated with the bad. They often describe feeling numb."

4 comments:

Terri Wagner said...

Having access to vets through my father I can understand that. And the important point here is that it's not a memory it's as if somehow you are there again. Just yesterday walking the dogs with my dad we heard a noise. He suddenly whitened and said that's a gun (he named it I forget), then he stopped, calmed down and said no that's not a gun. For a second he was back in Vietnam.

Bob's Blog said...

Terri,
Thank you again for adding to my post, as you consistently do day after day. Please tell your father we love him for his sacrifice for our our country.

Donetta said...

yep!
Even speaking of it years later might bring an unexpected crash. almost 35 years ago my friend murdered and mutilated in front of my face can feel like yesterday in a flash. It is so much better as years go by but I still will get caught off guard once in a while. I lost a whole day to it last week.
To this day I will get physically ill if images like it even to explain this risks. My kids will cover my eyes if fire is involved. I just loose all good humor. Not a fun way to live to be sure. But I did not die. (then or during recovery) many did.

Bob's Blog said...

Donetta,
Your story needs to be told. Someone like this Dave Cullen, author of the Columbine book, needs to expose what was done to you and others.