Friday, April 17, 2009

Comparing goat's milk and cow's milk

Comparing goat's milk to cow's milk: goat's milk has 15% more calcium, is easier to digest, is a complex protein with essential amino acids, contains fatty acids, has more vitamin A, D, potassium, copper and manganese. It is not treated with growth hormones. On the other hand, it has less folic acid and vitamin B 12 and a little less zinc. Oh, and it tastes fabulous! Soon, though, we will have an opportunity to compare directly, as Colleen has already made arrangements for Rosy the Jersey cow to join the family in June, two weeks after she gives birth to her first calf.

3 comments:

mushroom said...

I don't know -- we had Jerseys in our dairy and I drank a lot of Jersey milk raw when I was a kid. It's pretty good stuff. People who have never seen the cream probably wouldn't believe it. My dad always claimed Half-and-Half was half milk and half pond water. By comparison to Jersey cream, it is thin.

Terri Wagner said...

The only milk I've drunk comes out of a carton. So don't ask me.

Webutante said...

Have always prefered goats milk and cheese to cows. Hey where are the snowstorm pics? Can't wait to see some.