Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"I Gotta Be Me"

Michael Soussan shows us in his excellent book Backstabbing for Beginners "that the people the UN sends into countries like Saddam's Iraq are entirely on their own, with no protection from the UN. This meant they lived in fear just like the rest of the population."

Soussan knew sooner or later he would have to operate as "my own man," as opposed to the "easier, safer route of bureaucratic discipline and inertia." Following his conscience would mean rocking boats. "But (he writes) something in my gut made me want to either yell or throw up." I know that is why I am enjoying his book so much. Having worked in and around bureaucracies from 1970-2007, I was never able to refrain from boat-rocking. Like the song says, "I gotta be me."

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

And thank goodness for the boat rockers. We need ya.