Monday, July 09, 2007

Exhausted, But Exhilarated!

Hello friends! We are alive and well out here in the little house on the prairie! I don't know whether we will ever get all the boxes unpacked. We moved everything in U-Haul trucks and trailers. I still have not found the cord that plugs in to post photos, but as soon as I do, I will begin posting them.

I could not have imagined how much I would enjoy this country living. The sunrises and sunsets are amazing. Between changing poopy diapers and unpacking a box or two, I have been busy building a terraced garden just outside the kitchen window. The weeds and grasses were waist high and higher. I have been pulling them all by hand to make the garden. We paid the neighbor, who absolutely loves roaring around in his ATV, to mow the grasses and weeds around the first two acres. The outer acre and one-half we have left in the native grases for the horses and goats, and our enjoyment.

The last count was one fox with babies, one cat, six dogs, four boar goats, two horses, seven children, and two very exhausted, but very happy parents. Our fifteen-year-old son has a new Honda dirt bike, and has been busy giving rides to all of the other children, and building a jump course around the outer perimeter of our property. (My job is to enforce the agreed-upon rule that the dirt bike track stays on the perimeter of the property). The house faces west and sits at the top of a hill. The barn is down the hill to the east, then the property goes uphill for the final acre and one-half, so we have a good view from the house of the goings on.

Someone, who lived here previously, planted over two hundred trees. As you can imagine, trees are a very precious commodity. I will be diligently watering them and photographing them. There is a wonderful variety, including two that are an amazing purple!

My wife wants to make sure that I am held accountable for my stinky attitude toward the whole concept of moving away from the beautiful city of Golden, Colorado, nestled as it is at the base of the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, and close to all the urban amenities of the Denver metro area. This move was Colleen's life-long dream, and she is deliriously happy. That alone makes the whole move more than worth it to me.

9 comments:

mRed said...

A whole new world with the promise of new challenges and directions in your life. Pretty cool, eh?

Good on you and your entire family.

MommaLlama said...

That sounds absolutely amazing! I'm with Colleen, that is my dream one day!!!

Rita Loca said...

boy, can I relate to the moving and the boxes!! Hope all goes well.

Mrs. Who said...

I'm so glad you posted...knew you were moving and all, but it's good to hear that y'all are okay.

I can't wait to see the pictures. Your new place sounds fabulous!

-Mrs. Who
http://houseofzathras.com

Mizz E said...

Welcome back Bob! Reading about your new estate and the many joys that you are experiencing warms my heart.

I look forward to your photo documentation.

Daddio said...

Definitely looking forward to photos! My wife will talk us into an acreage homesite one of these days.

Thanks for visiting and blogrolling us (My Three Sons). Although not big commenters, we've followed your blog with interest for over a year now. Your experiences with adoption have definitely encouraged and humored us.

shoprat said...

Hope you're better than I am at getting everything put away. I still have a couple boxes of stuff from the last time I moved a few years ago.

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Hi Bob!
Welcome back, and welcome to country livin'!
You're gonna love it!

julie said...

Wow, Bob - you are truly living the dream :) I can't wait to see some pics. Your kids are sooooo lucky - there's nothing like growing up in the country!